apples & autism

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Rainy Days and Autism







We always know when it is going to be a wet Spring when it rains on Baseball Saturdays. It seems to be every other year and leaves us with a very upset daughter.

Her sister, who has Aspergers, seems to understand the rules of weather. If it rains on Friday; no baseball on Saturday. Her sister, not so much.

Once the rain begins, the loud whining, complaining loudly in another room as if she were talking to someone (never the case) but always directed at me. For, you see, I am always the brunt; the foe and that evil twin. I am responsible for everything.

No chocolate? Must be mom's fault (even though there is white milk AND chocolate syrup in the frig). The coach didn't hand out the team shirts? Well it's my fault.

Well it poured down again...for 3 days! So now she is in an agitated state. Last night, after calling J to dinner, I was told that I talk too much. Later, when I reminded her that we wouldn't be attending baseball, I was screamed at, 'Leave me alone' and 'You're a loser mom!'

We assume that my 22-year-old autitic baby has hit her early teen-age years emotionally and therefore MOM is always wrong, stupid, a loser and pretty much  anything else.

I try to limit conversations with her until I sense what her mood is so she won't decided that I'm "bossing her around". These days I send Dad and her sister to deliver messages.

Yes, I hate Spring; mostly spring showers that last days and prevent her ability to get out and play ball. Because the tornado season will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment